Sunday, November 2, 2014

Misogyny On The Half-Shell.

I saw this article posted on Facebook, and it pissed me off.  I wrote a response to it, and then realized that I feel that it needs a wider, or at least different, audience.

Here's the link to the article so you, gentle reader, can know precisely to what my numbers are referring:

6 THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT THINK ARE HARASSMENT BUT DEFINITELY ARE

Yes, that's right, the title for the article was written in all capitals, as though the name wasn't hysterical enough.

Here was what I commented on my hapless friend's post.  I may lose friends for it, but it's how I feel and I refuse to be bullied into feeling a certain way by anyone:

This whole notion of what's "harassment" is, to my mind, becoming absolutely stupid.  It's like women are determined to be victims even when they're not, and it makes me feel bad about being female. 

Before I itemize my problems with this list, let me clarify: I have been assaulted three times. Well, four if you count the one that happened when I was 7.  Never raped, but not for the lack of men trying.  If I had gotten irate every time someone followed me, stared at me, cat-called me (and yes, even though I'm 45 and 110 lbs. over-weight, that does still happen), wolf-whistled at me, propositioned me, and everything short of actually touching me, but if I'd taken it as serious I'd have locked myself in a closet decades ago.  Instead, I chose to ignore the stupidity (including the abuse when someone took amiss that I had ignored them) and learned self-defense. 

1. Johnny Rotten once told me to smile because I was leaning against the stage as he and PIL were setting up for a concert.  I was 17 and very depressed.  He was trying to cheer me up.  On Fantasy Island, every episode Mr. Roarke would tell all his guests, "Smiles, everyone!   Welcome to Fantasy Island!"  Based on that, Julian has, for years, said that to EVERYONE.

Let's not forget free speech.

2. I've never had a man tell me "God bless you."  I have only had women say that to me.  Nonetheless, even though my atheist soul cringes at it (I was an atheist for 15 years before I ever started thinking I might be a Druid, back in my late teens), still, people have a right to say what they want.  Free speech and all that.

3.  Compliments are never actually wrong.  Doesn't matter why you do it.  If you get offended because someone complimented you, you've got issues.  You don't have to take it to heart, but getting pissed off about it is just stupid.  The "implications" listed are assumptions of the really bitter recipient.  I wonder how many men were asked about their motives with this?

Also, free speech.

4. Yeah, OK, staring is creepy.  However, ignoring it is easy unless you have issues, in which case, once again, that's your problem, not the problem of the person staring at you.

Hell, it can feel creepy when your cat stares at you.  Also, I've seen women stare at men in the same way.  It's not necessarily voluntary on the part of the starer.

5.  You can speak to anyone you want.  I've been harassed by lots of women speaking to me that I didn't want to have a damned thing to do with, and I've seen lots of women do that to men.  Just get a spine and either ignore them or tell them to go away.

6.  OK, THIS is a problem.  I've even seen men become physical when ignored.  However, they also do this to men who ignore them, so painting it as just a sexual harassment thing is sexist.  Honestly, if you continue to ignore them (since what these people actually want is for you to get upset at them, to start something) they will just go away.  I've been proving that for years.  Hell, I got out of being mugged because it scared the hell out of the guy trying to mug me because I ignored him, and he had a gun on me.


In essence, this list comes across as being even more misogynistic than the behavior it itemizes.

No comments: